Every Body Needs Immunizations!
Immunizations are not just for kids but rather a lifelong, life-protecting activity. By 19 years of age and older, vaccines are just as important as when you were a child. Vaccine preventable diseases are still with us. As adults you may need more vaccines depending on your health status, work, and recreation or travel activities.
The following are the recommended vaccines for adults. Depending on your age and health status, you may or may not need all of them. Your health care provider is your best resource for evaluating your risks and recommending the vaccine protection you may need.:
- Influenza (flu vaccine) - recommended annually (every year) for everyone
6 months of age and older. Two types of vaccines are available, TIV (shot) or LAIV (nasal spray). Click on the links below for more information:(CDC):
- Pneumococcal - 1-2 doses if you have certain chronic diseases such as heart, lung and other health conditions, including asthma. You need 1 dose by age 65 (or older) if you have never been vaccinated against pneumonia.
- Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Td) - A tetanus diphtheria booster dose is recommended every 10 years. You should request a Tdap (a one-time booster dose that protects against Pertussis or whooping cough) in lieu of one Td shot.
- Hepatitis B - recommended for healthcare workers, persons who come into contact with blood or blood products, and for those with multiple sex partners.
- Hepatitis A - recommended for travelers to developing countries.
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) - 3 dose series recommended for women age 26 and younger.
- Measles Mumps and Rubella (MMR) - 1 dose if you were born in 1957 or later. You may need a 2nd dose.
- Varicella (Chickenpox) - 1-2 dose(s) recommended if you do not have a reliable history of having had chickenpox or shingles, if you travel internationally or if you work with specific high risk populations.
- Meningococcal (meningitis vaccine) - 1 dose highly recommended for young adults going to college or military recruits. People with certain medical conditions should also receive this vaccine.
- Zoster - 1 dose recommended if over the age of 60.